Friday, February 28, 2014

Olympic figures, 4th grade

 Seeing the pictograms of the athletic events this year reminded me very much of the Keith Haring-style figures my fourth graders made back at the beginning of the year, so I thought it might be a great time to revisit the subject using the biggest current event going.


The patterns have that folk-art quilt feeling, and I had a great big scrapbook paper pad filled with similarly patterned papers. We stamped out backgrounds using the Olympic Rings theme, then placed our figures on top with some colorful banners about the event. A fun way to make real world connections and reflect on learning from earlier in the year.


Critiquing this lesson, I would probably change the rings design to just around the edges or maybe on an outer frame, because it gets a little busy. But it sure was fun!






3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this one thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they trace or draw free hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They drew free hand after practicing with gesture figure drawing.

      Delete

Comments are very appreciated - thanks for stopping by!